The integrity of a roof is not based solely on the tiles and shingles you see. Rather what is under those materials is what may be the difference between a long-lasting weatherproof roofing system and a roof that buckles and fails prematurely. Choose your ventilation, waterproofing, and other accessories carefully so that you can get the most out of one of your biggest home improvement expenses. Below you’ll find a quick reference guide to the major accessory components and what to look for:
Proper roof ventilation ensures the maximum life and performance of your roof. Without adequate ventilation, even the best roof systems fail. Balanced ventilation requires an equal amount of intake ventilation and exhaust. Our manufacturers suggest, at a minimum, providing 1 square foot of Net Free Ventilation for every 300 square feet of attic floor space. Local building codes may vary so consult your roofing contractor and municipality to see exactly what is required by code.
A properly balanced attic ventilation system will help to:
- Increase your roof’s lifespan by removing
- Prevent rotting wood and mold in your
attic on or your roof deck.
- Minimize damage to the exterior and interior paint.
- Possibly reduce heating and cooling costs.
Quality roof deck protection (often referred to as “tar paper” or “felt”) provides an extra layer of protection between your shingles and your roof deck. It helps prevent wind-driven rain (or water from other sources) from seeping under your roofing system and causing damage to your roof structure, plywood roof deck, or the interior of your home. It will also:
- Lay flatter and avoid “telegraphing” wrinkles.
- Help the roofing system lay flat and uniform.
- Result in a better-looking roofing job.
Roof Accessory Paint
You can enhance the beauty of your new or existing roof by using roof accessory paint. Roof Accessory Paint will help to:
- Hide unsightly penetrations through the roof including vent pipes, exhaust vents, or flashing.
- Resist rust and harsh weather on roof accessories that can eventually stain or discolor your roof system.
- Ensure a neat and finished look to your new or existing roof.
Gutter Drainage Protection keeps leaves, twigs, and other debris from clogging your gutters and allows water to flow freely. During a repair or re-roof, you have the opportunity to improve your gutter system, sometimes at a reduced cost. Please contact us with any questions about your gutters.